About Reboot Illinois
Reboot Illinois aims to encourage citizens to retake ownership of our governments. Through non-partisan digital and social media, Reboot Illinois intends to engage citizens giving them the information and tools they need to act on improving the jobs climate, schools, taxes, and state debt.
- Reboot our state finances: We are paying more and getting less. Illinois raised taxes by 67% in 2011, making it one of the most taxed states in America. Yet, we have nothing to show for it. Pension costs are crowding out essential services for the state, especially for the neediest. And hardworking taxpayers simply can’t afford to pay more.
- Reboot our business climate & job market: We have gone from one of the best to one of the worst states in which to do business. (Fact: We now rank 48th in the nation.) Illinois jobs, businesses, and residents are fleeing the state. (Fact: Illinois has had a higher unemployment rate than neighboring states.)Over the past 15 years, 800,000 residents left Illinois, taking $26 billion in taxable income with them. That amounts to one taxpayer leaving every 10 minutes of every day. We need to restore a jobs climate that keeps our families and communities vibrant.
- Reboot our schools: In the past decade, spending per student has increased by 45%, yet student achievement has stagnated, and our students aren’t getting the quality learning they deserve. Our children have the right to receive an excellent education regardless of their zip code or how much their parents make.
- Reboot government accountability & transparency: Illinois has a long history of corruption, waste, and graft. Hardworking taxpayers have paid the tab for these abuses. Why do we accept it? We deserve an accountable, responsible, efficient and effective government run by the people, for the people. All of us!
- Click here to read our call to action on state debt: “They failed. We failed. The way toward Illinois progress on pension debt”
- Click here to take a look at our wishes for this year.
- Reboot Illinois is funded by Chicago hedge fund manager Anne Dias Griffin and industrialists Lester and Jim Crown. Reboot Illinois is nonpartisan and independent. Editorial direction and decisions are handled solely by Reboot Illinois Chief Operating Officer Madeleine Doubek and Reboot Illinois Executive Editor Matt Dietrich.
Chief Operating Officer
Madeleine Doubek is the Chief Operating Officer of Reboot Illinois. She was the former Assistant Vice President/Executive Editor of the Daily Herald. An award-winning journalist, Doubek served as the Daily Herald’s Political Writer and Editor for 10 years and also led the paper’s project and investigative work. A Chicago native who lives in Des Plaines, Doubek holds a bachelor’s degree from Eastern Illinois University, where she majored in journalism and minored in political science.
Matthew Dietrich is the Executive Editor of Reboot Illinois. An award-winning journalist, Dietrich is the former Editorial Page Editor of the State Journal Register in Springfield. He holds a bachelor’s degree in communications from the Saint Louis University and a master’s degree in journalism from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Director of Digital Strategy
Anthony Knierim is the Director of Digital Strategy for Reboot Illinois. Formerly with Accenture and Aon Hewitt, he has experience in building mass audiences on social media platforms and managing large-scale social media communities. Anthony was born in Hinsdale, IL and received a bachelor’s degree in business administration and marketing from Illinois State University.
Director of Social Media
Madison Bondi is the Director of Social Media of Reboot Illinois. Formerly with BCV, an award-winning social media management firm, Madison has experience in public relations and in building digital communities and brands. She grew up in St. Charles, IL and received a bachelor’s degree in sociology and minor in public administration from Northern Illinois University.
“How does this affect me? What can I do about it?” You are not alone. There are millions just like us asking the same questions. Millions of us can act. Millions of us can command change. Reboot Illinois will help us connect and take charge. Join us. Together, we can Reboot Illinois.