Recently Forbes came out with its 2014 top 100 colleges list, which includes four Illinois schools in its Top 75. From Forbes’ rankings, which covered more than 600 schools, we pulled out the top 15 Illinois colleges.
As a refresher, here are the top 15 colleges in Illinois as ranked by Forbes:
- Northwestern University (#19)
- University of Chicago (#24)
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (#68)
- Wheaton College (#75)
- Knox College (#149)
- Lake Forest College (#236)
- Illinois Institute of Technology (#247)
- Augustana College (#248)
- Illinois Wesleyan University (#253)
- Bradley University (#278)
- Loyola University Chicago (#312)
- DePaul University (#320)
- University of Illinois, Chicago (#361)
- Elmhurst College (#459)
- Illinois State University (#478)
What is noticeable from the list of Illinois colleges is the schools are a mixture of private and public colleges, with tuition rates varying accordingly. While public colleges generally cost less than private schools, the cost of a public college education for in-state students has gone up in Illinois.
Here is a look at what incoming freshmen for the 2014-15 school year will be paying to attend the Top 15 Illinois schools on the Forbes list. Tuition and fees provide by the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC):
Northwestern University $47,255
University of Chicago $59,380
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign $15,602
Wheaton College $31,900
Knox College $40,497
Lake Forest College $41,172
Illinois Institute of Technology $41,275
Augustana College $37,236
Illinois Wesleyan University $40,844
Bradley University $30,844
Loyola University Chicago $40,866
DePaul University $36,150
University of Illinois, Chicago $14,510
Elmhurst College $33,950
Illinois State University $14,147
Many of those schools saw an increase in tuition and costs from the 2013-14 school year to the 2014-15 school year. In fact, almost all four-year colleges in Illinois saw a tuition increase of some degree.
Here’s a look at the increase in tuition from last year to this year at those schools.
- The average Ilinois home price is very…average
- Property taxes and home values by county in Illinois
- What’s the housing inventory in your county?
- Check out these Illinois roadside attractions on your next road trip
- Want to tell your elected officials what you think of the state of government in Illinois? Use our Sound Off tool.